The Wenceslaus Hollar Collection

About Menu

Acknowledgements

e wish to thank the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation of New York for their financial support, which has made it possible for us to digitize some 4000 prints from the Fisher Hollar Collection.

The project team would like to acknowledge our debt to the work of previous scholars, and in particular to the two major descriptive catalogues of the Hollar etchings. First, Gustave Parthey's catalogue of 1853, which assigned a sequence of numbers to the works as well as the overall classification into subject categories. Parthey's work was superseded and augmented by Richard Pennington's A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etched Work of Wenceslaus Hollar published by Cambridge University Press in 1982. Pennington retained the original Parthey identification number, adding numbers as additional prints were discovered. The Pennington catalogue includes a full description of each of the prints, including an enumeration of subsequnet states when these have been known to exist. The Fisher Hollar digital collection includes the catalogue number for each plate (indicated in the plate descriptions as Pxxxx), to facilitate cross-checking with the Pennington catalogue. It also retains the Parthey/Pennington subject categories, allowing users to browse the entire collection, using the ten main divisions, such as religious prints, mythology, historical prints, etc. and their subdivisions.

We are indebted to Fisher Librarian Pearce Carefoote for his detailed finding aid to the Hollar prints, which was used as the basis for the descriptive metadata. We also wish to thank George Hawken, Undergraduate Coordinator in the Dept. of Fine Art, and a printmaker specializing in intaglio techniques, for allowing us to link to his series of videos which demonstrate the technique of etching. We are most grateful as well to art historian Dr. Anne Thackray of the National Gallery of Canada, for contributing the text of the lecture on the art of Wenceslaus Hollar which she gave to the Friends of the Fisher Library in November 2006.